Tuesday, August 13, 2013

REVIEW: Evening: Morning - The Digital Age

I don't consider myself to be nearly "snooty" enough to be a decent music critic. I don't know chords, and I can't really talk about the scientific dynamics of musical theory. I know what I like in music, and I can't always put into words exactly what I like about a certain album.

If you've known me for any length of time, you know I had a major man crush on David Crowder and the entire David Crowder* Band. I practically worshiped at the altar of his discography and I would continue to rank "A Collision" as one of my favorite albums of all time, possibly even my all time favorite over Jesus Freak by dc Talk, which probably just holds more sentimental value for me than anything, but I still love it and am totally willing to rock out to it whenever.

A couple summers ago,  while at NYC in Louisville, KY; my good friend Kevin got a pair of tickets for a meet and greet with the dcb. His wife wasn't feeling well, so she graciously allowed me to take her place, I was as giddy as a school girl to meet David Crowder, and the whole band!

They released their final album not too long after I saw them in Louisville and stopped touring not too long after. I was heartbroken at the loss of my favorite group. David Crowder formed a new band called Crowder. Four of the other guys, including drummer B-Wack, who I'm standing next to in this picture formed a new band called The Digital Age and released an EP called Rehearsals last summer.

Their first full length album came out today. I'll put the cart before the horse and say, it's fantastic!

I expect nothing less than greatness from these guys because they're unbelievable creative and doing things that you don't hear very often in Christian music. The music has a heavy electronic/digital feel (go figure) with some complex drumming by B-Wack.

Captured was released a single a few months ago and starts the album off on a great note, it's a seriously great track (you can find it on youtube here).

They also redid "All the Poor and Powerless" for this album, it was one of my favorite tracks off of Rehearsals.

My favorite tracks, though are "Overcome" and "Believe." Believe is a song rendition of some of our most cherished ancient creedal statements. Overcome is just an out and out awesome song.

All in all, check this album out, it's fantastic!

0 comments:

Post a Comment